Brief 1 – Pixilation Film

For this first brief we were required to work in small production teams to generate ideas for, and film, a short video in the style of Pixilation. This task presented many challenges in the sense of using equipment and coordinating, collaborating and communicating with a team of people. The final video that we produced is based around a Duck Duck Goose chase sequence and runs for around one and a half minutes.

Research Process

The research process involved in this piece mainly revolved around finding various pixilation films, looking particularly at the format that they were made in, and any visual gags or gimmicks we could include in our own sequence. On top of this, research was performed on examples of chase scenes seen in iconic films or TV shows, and also the genres that could be explored or presented in our film.

I collated some of this research into a mind-map.

Pixilation- Mind Map1
Pixilation Mind-Map

Research Links:

Idea Generation

To generate the ideas for this piece, we had a group meeting. Referring back to the mind-map we came up with a story progression.

Pixilation- Script1
Pixilation Idea Generation

This narrative took inspiration from a range of elements and genres, aiming to blend them together under the main theme of a ‘Duck Duck Goose’ game.

To complete the idea generation process I put together a storyboard for the group to use during the shoot.

Pixilation- Storyboard1
Final Pixilation Storyboard

The Final Film

Below is the final Pixilation sequence that we created for this brief. My roles in the film’s creation included the directing and editing of the final shots, as well as a portion of the sound design. Although we deviated from the storyboard a bit due to the availability of filming locations, I feel that the final sequence actually works a lot better than what we originally planned (for example the long ‘Benny Hill’ chase scene). When editing the film, I also tried to reflect the genre and mood of the piece through the use of particular colour grading. For the happier, more comedic scenes I opted to use a warm, bright colour grade. In contrast, the horror sequences employed a cold, blue tinted colour, signifying threat.

Reflections

Overall, the process of constructing this brief from concept to completion has been a hugely informative and educational experience for me.

The final film above was actually a different version to the original, which we decided to re-shoot after feedback from the class, as well as our own feelings (shown below). Initially when going through the process, there were severe hurdles encountered in managing the cast and delegating tasks effectively with the skill sets of those involved in mind. This was something that was largely attributed to the fact that it was essentially the first time any of the group had worked together, and thus the new dynamic and environment led to a team that didn’t really know the skills and capabilities of those they were working with, and this reflected in the quality of the work produced.

In the final version, we had all had the chance to work together a lot more, and thus knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses much better. This allowed us to work far more efficiently towards the final sequence, and the resulting film conveyed a much stronger representation of what we had originally wanted.


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s